Many times, a person’s largest asset is an investment in his or her business, but few realize the true value of the business.
Decisions made based upon the value of a business have far-reaching effects, from buying or selling the company to obtaining a loan, from creating a succession plan to filing an insurance claim. Warren Averett provides valuation services for business owners, attorneys, trust departments, banks and financial institutions, professional practices and individuals in a wide variety of situations, including:
- Transfers/sales of business, mergers and acquisitions
- Estate and gift tax planning
- Succession planning, buy/sell agreements, and shareholder matters
- Marital dissolution
- Employee Stock Options Plans (ESOPs)
- Corporate tax planning, including S-Corp conversions
- Financial reporting, including purchase price allocations and goodwill impairment
- Stock option, preferred stock, restricted stock and compensation valuations
- Business and operations planning
- Litigation support and forensic accounting
Establishing an accurate assessment of a business requires in-depth, specialized knowledge that includes a comprehensive understanding of the business, the economic environment and the industry in which it operates.
To calculate the value of a business, our professionals closely examine the business, its location, the industry trends and the economic outlook. Depending upon the agreement, we will provide a full business valuation, a summary valuation or a calculation of value. See Chart.
Once an opinion of value is rendered, our team can assist in the development of tax planning strategies or the structuring of negotiations for the purchase, sale or transfer of a business or business interest.