State and local taxes often account for a considerable portion of a business’s total tax liability. State and local governments are actively passing legislation and regulations, especially on those businesses based out of state. Navigating the intricacies of the laws of multiple jurisdictions can make compliance a difficult task for any business.
Warren Averett takes a proactive approach, assessing each organization’s compliance with laws and regulations, and implementing strategies to reduce the cost of doing business. We work diligently to ensure that opportunities for state and local tax savings are realized through complete analysis and development of effective planning strategies, coupled with successful implementation and firm negotiations with taxing authorities. Warren Averett offers a variety of state and local tax services, including:
- Voluntary compliance review — analyze state nexus and limit exposure
- State and local compliance services — prepare and/or review appropriate filings
- Income/franchise tax planning — minimize state tax liabilities
- Controversy and dispute resolution (audit management and defense, appeals and protest stage, technical advice / letter ruling requests)
- Credit, exemption & incentive utilization review
- Sales and use tax services (tax decision matrix development and maintenance, sales taxability reviews, use tax planning and audit defense, compliance process review and software selection assistance)
- Reverse sales & use tax audits to determine potential refund opportunities
State and local tax planning helps your company minimize tax liabilities and improves your bottom line. Whether your company is undergoing multistate growth, struggling with specific state tax matters or looking for advice on rapidly changing legislation, our tax professionals are well suited to address your state and local tax needs.