By:Tammie Lunceford, CPC
In March 2014, during the annual Sustainable Growth Rate discussions in the House of Representatives, a delay in the implementation of ICD 10 was included in the bill. The decision was made to allow for further preparation, but the medical community placed ICD 10 way down a list of “to do” items. I participated in one of the Medical Group Management Association’s state meetings last month, and there was not one presenter speaking on ICD.
On April 16, 2015 President Obama signed the bill to permanently repeal the SGR but this time it did not include a delay to ICD 10. It is time to ready your practices and documentation for the new coding structure for an October 1, 2015 effective date.
- Train staff who deal with diagnosis codes
- Monitor insurance and patient aging to achieve best practice percentages
- Improve clinical documentation
- Test claims with any carrier you have an opportunity
- Secure a line of credit, monitor debt
- Communicate with your practice management/EMR vendor to ascertain technology readiness
Warren Averett is ready! We are a partner to prepare you for success with certified coders and trainers waiting to assist you. Boot Camps have been scheduled in multiple locations to train your staff. You can register here. Clinical documentation webinars are being prepared for physicians along with selected specialty webinars to assist you. Do not hesitate to contact us to assure you are on track to success.